Sometimes I wonder if anyone in Hollywood actually uses a computer. 30 years in to the PC revolution and computers in movies still do all kinds of ridiculous things that make us laugh.
- Computers boot up instantaneously – zero wait time.
- Everything is wireless – there are no wires anywhere.
- Laptop batteries never run out.
- When someone gets an email a pleasant female voice says “You’ve got mail” accompanied by some cute animation.
- A wrong password produces a huge blinking “ACCESS DENIED” message.
- Any “ACCESS DENIED” message has an “OVERRIDE” function.
- You can gain access to any information you want by simply typing “ACCESS ALL SECRET FILES”.
- Likewise, you can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing “UPLOAD VIRUS”.
- All computers are connected – the CIA’s, the villain’s, grandma’s computer, the Swiss banks, etc.
- Text chatters as it spills across the screen.
- Computer monitors never show cursors.
- Fonts are huge.
- People typing away on a computer will turn it off without saving the data.
- No matter how stressed they are, the heroes or heroines are able to compute away merrily without making a single mistake.
- Sophisticated scientists wearing white coats working in high tech labs full of blinking lights are able to “enhance” an image by zooming a 640×480 pixel image about 50 times without losing resolution.
Realism in movies huh?